Engaging with families from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds
There is a great deal of evidence that families play a critical role in their child’s learning. This resource details strategies for engaging families from culturally diverse backgrounds, families with English as an additional language, and families from refugee backgrounds, elaborating on the ‘promising approaches’ outlined in AERO’s family engagement for learning practice guides.
The promising approaches outlined in AERO’s family engagement for learning practice guides include:
- recognising and supporting family engagement in learning at home
- supporting two-way, positive communication and providing light touch updates about learning
- promoting a literacy-rich environment at home (primary school guide)
- collaboratively planning and problem solving with families.
We have two guides in this series:
- A guide for teachers and leaders (primary and secondary schools)
- A guide for educators, teachers and service leaders (early childhood care and education)