Using AERO's Foundational Classroom Management Resources Handbook
Effective classroom management is key for teachers and students alike, as it establishes the atmosphere for the learning environment and profoundly influences educational outcomes. It's imperative that classroom management practices are grounded in the most reliable evidence to ensure maximum impact and efficiency for both educators and learners. Evidence indicates that students achieve optimal learning outcomes when immersed in well-organised and effectively managed classrooms.
AERO's Foundational Classroom Management Resources Handbook is a collection of resources developed by AERO that are evidence-based and align with the science of how students learn. These resources have been developed in consultation with teachers, school leaders and experts, and demonstrate how to explicitly teach and model expectations for behaviour to support student learning.
The handbook includes:
- the Classroom Management Resources: User Guide, which explains how to work through these resources
- three types of foundational resources: explainers, practice guides and skill resources.
Classroom management resource types
Classroom management explainers summarise the evidence for classroom management. They explain key principles and describe how they're enacted in practice. These explainers cover:
- positive teacher–student relationships
- high expectations for student behaviour
- teaching routines
- establishing and maintaining rules.
Classroom management practice guides provide step-by-step guidance for effectively implementing and refining evidence-based practices and developing responsiveness through reflexive practice. These guides cover:
- building positive connections with all students
- establishing and maintaining an entrance routine
- establishing and maintaining an exit routine
- gaining all students’ attention
- planning for classroom management
- responding to disengaged and disruptive behaviours
- setting behaviour expectations for completing learning tasks
- students gaining teacher attention
- students moving through the school.
Classroom management skill resources support teachers in implementing effective classroom management practices by refining necessary classroom management skills. These skills are:
- acknowledgement and praise
- clear communication
- deliberate pause
- non-verbal correction
- scanning your class
- voice control.
Further classroom management resources will be released in 2024.
You can help refine AERO's classroom management resources and contribute to plans for future resources by providing feedback via our feedback form.
This project is funded by the Australian Government Department of Education through the Engaged Classrooms Through Effective Classroom Management Program.
Keywords: engagement, disruption, disruptive behaviour